Tuesday, June 24, 2014

from my recipe box : overnight oats

This week is absolutely crazy -- work is super busy for me right now with all the summer programs we're running.  I feel like I'm packing for a week long trip with all the bags I have to bring with me into the office.  Because of all that extra packing, my mornings feel rushed.  


On Sunday, I decided to try out some overnight oats so I could have a grab and go breakfast in the morning.  I expected this to be a quick and convenient meal, but I was surprised at how amazingly tasty this is too.  All you need is four ingredients and a few mason jars.


You'll need: milk, yogurt (any kind will do, but I like plain vanilla), old fashioned oatmeal (I heard that quick oats can give your overnight oats a weird texture) and chia seeds.  I prepared three mason jars since I knew the first three days of my week would be the most hectic.  In each jar, put 1/4 cup of oats, 2 tablespoons of chia seeds, 1/4 cup of yogurt, and 1/3 cup of milk.  Once all those ingredients are in the jars, simply seal the jars and shake well to mix.  Put them in the refrigerator and let sit overnight.  Your overnight oats will keep for up to four days.  

I love the super thick texture!

I love to sprinkle some cinnamon and blueberries overtop of the oats before I eat it.  The consistency is so thick and hearty, one jar fills me up for hours. 



No comments:

Post a Comment