Wednesday, February 4, 2015

crockpot chicken pot pie stew

I can't believe it's already February.  Oliver's smiling all the time, is just about too big for his 0-3 month size clothes and looks adorable with his bulky cloth diaper bum.  My maternity leave ended a few weeks ago and it's bittersweet to return to work.  I love being back in my office, but I keep looking at pictures of Oliver on my phone... 

Today I'm sharing one of our favorite recipes in our house, crockpot chicken pot pie stew.  Growing up, my mom would always have homemade chicken pot pie in her dinner rotation.  I loved the flaky crust and the way the whole house would smell while it was cooking.  When I moved out on my own, I was so excited to make the chicken pot pie myself.  The first time I made it, it took me hours to prep and cut all the vegetables, make the pie crust and assemble everything.  Even though the pot pie tasted great, I wanted to figure out an easier way to make it.  I decided to change my mom's pot pie recipe into a crockpot stew, and haven't looked back.  The vegetables are still tender, and dumplings take the place of the pie crust.


Chicken pot pie stew-

4 chicken breast
16 oz of chicken broth
1 can of cream of chicken soup
3 carrots, sliced
2 potatoes, sliced into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup of frozen peas
half an onion, diced
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon thyme
salt and pepper, to taste
1 can of biscuits

Put chicken breast, broth, soup and vegetables in a crockpot. Sprinkle rosemary, thyme and salt and pepper over top. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. An hour before cooking is finished, open the can of biscuits. Cut each biscuit into four pieces and put all the pieces into the crockpot. Stir into stew and try to make sure they don't just float on the top. Recover and continue cooking for 60 minutes. Shred chicken. Serve and enjoy. 


 I wrote here about freezer meals have been an essential in our house for the past two months.  This is an easy meal to prepare ahead of time, put everything in a freezer bag, and then just dump it in the crockpot in the morning.  This is one of Trevor's favorite meals and it's so wonderful and comforting on chilly winter days.




No comments:

Post a Comment